Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Upgrading to Windows 7

Recently I have upgraded to Windows 7 , from Windows Vista - and W7 is better than Windows Vista. While upgrading, I was given a message to remove some of my application, like Intel Storage Matrix Manager . Even after uninstalling the software ,and restarting my computer, I still got the message .

I searched for the keys in regedit , but did not find any trace there , so I started looking into the various possiblities of going for the upgraded. Then I found that even after the software is uninstalled , some of the remnants remain in C:\ProgramData . Thinking this was the problem , I deleted the corresponding folders . After that I was able to upgrade to Windows 7 , without any issues.

Windows 7 is good , it has a fast boot up , but I feel there are issues from a users point which should be addressed .
  1. When Windows 7 starts, its says "Starting Windows", and after that there is nice blue theme . Now the theme stays for quite sometime, and the user has no idea whats happening... has the W7 frozen, is W7 not working . the user does not have any clue . Maybe MS is trying out some thing new, but progress bars have been a defacto standard for quite sometime to make the user understand somethings happening and the user should not interevene.
  2. The startup is not that fast Maybe it still some of Vista old features, but someone said that W7 underwent a change in the kernel ?
  3. The integrated search features was faster in Vista , but I would not go back to Vista only for this, I would stick to W7

W7 , is not resource hungry, and has much improved perfomance .

I think Windows 7 is here to stay .